Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Bujutsu Tetsugaku - Intro

As I move toward my own "mastery" of Isshinryu karate, I have been thinking and talking and reading -- trying to develop my own philosophy of martial arts: my bujutsu tetsugaku. I believe that this should be the on-going task of a karateka whether working toward shodan or working toward godan and beyond. But, considered as a whole, it is a tremendous undertaking. Thus, I felt that if others could read how my thoughts progressed on this topic, it might help them organize their own thoughts on their personal bujutsu tetsugaku.

When one first ties on the obi and begins the journey through the grade or kyu levels, the ideas and ways of martial arts could be overwhelming. Just trying to recreate specific moves without feeling too foolish, falling over, running out of breath or even getting hurt can be all that fills a student's mind. In the lower grades, the student will be just about too overwhelmed to consider their martial arts philosophy. This is understood and tolerated at first. But, as the student advances through the kyus, it is expected that the student will become increasingly more responsible for developing their style AND their martial arts philosophy. It can be imagined as a model of developmental similar to going through the education system:

Elementary School
8 (Hachikyu) - Yellow Belt: 1st and 2nd Graders
7 (Shichikyu) - Orange Belt: 3rd and 4th Graders

Middle School
6 (Rokkyu) - Green Belt: 5th and 6th Graders
5 (Gokyu) - Blue Belt: 7th and 8th Graders

High School
4 (Yonkyu) - Purple Belt: Freshmen and Sophomores
3 (Sankyu) - Brown Belt: Juniors and Seniors

College
2 (Nikyu) - Brown/Black Belt: Freshmen and Sophomores
1 (Ikkyu) _ Red/Black Belt: Juniors and Seniors

Grad School
Shodan and up

If a student perseveres and gets to Sankyu and higher, then they have some talent for the art and are definitely motivated to learn. Now comes the time to develop a deeper and more personal understanding of the martial arts system they are training within. This should be a time for deciding what it is about their martial arts style that is personally interesting and important to the student. Once the rank of Shodan is attained, the logical next step is to take those beliefs and practices and develop one's own personal bujutsu tetsugaku.

In subsequent posts, I will share the current state of my martial arts philosophy. It makes sense to me as it is mine. While you may not know how I arrived at or necessarily even understand what I currently believe, think of what I present as an example that you can consider, use, or discard. Ultimately your own body and spirit will help you develop your own unique martial philosophy which may share some things in common with mine and in other ways perhaps completely differ.

NEXT TIME: Yin, Yang, and the Pillars of Heaven

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. Thanks for the insight and I look forward to the next installment.

    Martin

    ReplyDelete